During part 2 of the IELTS speaking component, as soon as students see the cue card questions, they should be doing the following:
- Topic Selection (you should select the right things to talk about as you would want to produce a good quality part 2 response). Choose something to talk about that is easy to talk about. Easy topics should have the below:
- Lots of features (there should be a variety of things to talk about)
- Be expandable (you can keep on adding points to it)
- Be able to include some ‘invented’ aspects. Remember, examiner will not penalise you for lying to him/her. It is OK to make up story or lie to them!
- Vocabulary – write down some uncommon vocabulary that are related to the topic. (can this word be used for many other topics?)
- Grammar point
- Decide the Tense (present, past or conditional tense). You do not want to lose hard-earned points over simple grammatical mistakes like tenses right??
Remember to use plenty of lead-in phrase, linking phrase in every sentence (so the sentence can contain complex linking structures, redundant language, and complex grammar).