This has been a frequently tested question recently. So we have decided to discuss about it in this post. You can find below some ideas for questions and essays related to relocating businesses outside city centers to regional areas. This could be tested in both writing and speaking components of IELTS.
In some countries, the government is encouraging businesses and industries to move outside city centers and relocate to regional areas.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of this trend?
Advantages of businesses being outside urban areas
- Land prices are cheaper and more abundant in rural areas which is beneficial to businesses. Many overhead costs will be substantially cheaper.
- Workers/employees in regional areas can be hired for a lower salary. Attractive to firms.
- Industry and business can often produce pollution so locating them away from residential areas is sensible. This would help make cities less polluted.
- Raw materials are located in rural areas so it makes sense for many businesses to be situated nearer their required resources. Various savings such as transportation cost, reduction in pollution.
- Local communities usually support the arrival of new businesses as they bring jobs. This local support can be beneficial for businesses.
Disadvantages of relocating businesses
- The infrastructure is sometimes less developed in rural areas which can be a problem for businesses.
- Internet connection may not be reliable and this can adversely affect companies.
- Workers in rural areas may be plentiful but they might not be as skilled as those in urban centers. A lack of skilled, experienced workers can be a problem for some companies.
- For many companies, their customers are in city centers so moving away from their customer base is not beneficial.