The linking words we have provided below are essential in IELTS task 2 writings for you to achieve higher bands. The examiner expects to see a range of linking words in your essay to award you a high band for the criterion of Coherence and Cohesion, which is 25% of your marks. You will be checked on your range, accuracy and your flexibility of linking words in IELTS writing task 2. These linking words are suitable for all types of essay writing as well as GT IELTS writing task 2
This is often used to either put your paragraphs in order or used inside the paragraph to list your supporting points.
- lastly /last but not least / finally
You will need to support your main points in your IELTS essay. These linkers inform the read that extra information is about to be presented.
- in addition
- not only … but also
- as well as
It is often useful to give examples to support your ideas in IELTS writing task 2. Make sure you use this range of linking words to do so.
- for example
- one clear example is
- for instance
- such as
- to illustrate
- in other words
Results and Consequences
These linking devices can be used for solution essays or any essay when you need to explain the consequences of something.
- as a result
- for this reason
Highlighting and Stressing
It is important to be clear about what you mean in your essay. These linking words help you stress particular points.
- in particular
- of course
Concessions and Contrasts
You often need to give opposite ideas, particularly for discussion essays so the linking words below will help you show the reader when you want to introduce an opposite point. Also you might want to give exceptions to a rule for a concession.
- even though
- in spite of
- on the other hand
- by contrast
- in comparison
- another option could be
Reasons and Causes
These connecting words will help you explain reasons and causes for something which is very common in IELTS writing task 2, especially for cause / solution essays.
- owing to
- due to
Giving your Opinion
- in my opinion
- I think
- I believe
- I admit
- in my view
- I concur / agree
- I disagree / I cannot accept
- in conclusion
- to conclude
- to sum up
Now have a Practice with Linking Words:
Now try improve your use of linking words by fill in the gaps below with linking words from the above list.
- There are a number of drawbacks to people using Facebook as a way of communicating (1)………………… it is (2)…………….. one of the most common social networking platforms for both individuals and businesses.
- (3)……………………….. the lack of exercise taken by average people, obesity and other weight related problems are on the rise.
- Unemployment and poverty, (4) ………….. in urban areas, is often deemed to be the cause of rising crime rate.
- (5) ……….. the rise in urban crime, more and more people continue to move to cities looking for a better life.
- More children are becoming obese and (6)…………….. schools should be encouraged to provide more sports lessons and outdoor activities.
- even though
- Due to / Owing to ( you can’t have “because of” because it is at the beginning of a sentence)
- particularly / especially / specifically
- therefore / so / for this reason